Story Retelling Ribbon

Story retelling ribbons are a great way to help students with reading and listening comprehension. It's a visual reminder of story elements. By the end of the year, my students can retell a story without prompting or support.


All of the materials came from Hobby Lobby, but I'm sure you can find them at any craft store. The palm tree, mermaid, and pirate symbols are made of thin wood that's already painted. There were many to choose from in the unfinished wood section of the store. Since our theme last year was pirates, I picked what I thought would represent setting, characters, problem, solution, and the three little jewels represent retelling the story from beginning, middle, and end. I hot glued them on a ribbon, which I keep on a magnetic clip so that I can hold it up or move it to my small group table.
Palm tree ~ setting
Mermaid ~ characters
Pirate Flag ~ problem (pirates are coming)
Jewels ~ retell beginning, middle, and end
Pirate Ship ~ solution (pirates are going away)


Kim

No comments

Back to Top