Setting Up My Kindergarten Word Wall


Well, by looking at these pictures, I see it's time to go ahead and get the professional camera I have been wanting for the past 10 years. I think I'll buy one next month for my birthday. I wish you could see the bright colors in my room that are accented by these super cute borders. I teach kindergarten, and I have always decorated my room with the kid theme. You know, safari, jungle, pirate, superheros, but this year I wanted a change. I went with something more "grown up." I went to my room yesterday to changed my backgrounds and borders and to add new words to my word wall to reflect our new reading curriculum. It's a work in progress, but I still have three weeks until school starts.




Our district divides sight words into four lists with each list being taught and assessed during one of four nine week grading periods. My first year teaching, I added the words as they were introduced, but I realized that doing so wasn't good for acceleration. I had kids who were already reading and writing, so why not have all of the words on the word wall? We also have the "orange" words. They are additional words that I've added through the years that my kids usually ask me how to spell.


A couple of years ago, I divided the T's because at the time, this was the largest group. I made sure that I posted the "th" a little below the "T," making sure it's not in line with the rest of the letters, because it's a subgroup. In doing so, I have noticed that my kids learn and retain the "th" sound quicker.

I would do the same with "wh," but the word WHO doesn't begin with the "wh" sound.


I also added the "ed" and "ing" endings on a pink note with the words "now" and "past" written in small words in the bottom corner.

My vowels headings are also a different color.

You may notice that my words are not in alphabetical order. I keep my words in order as they are introduced from our word list.





Kim

No comments

Back to Top